This time I brought my talented colleague Sudha Rajouria with me and I’m so glad she was willing to come. With two of us we were able to accomplish much more than I am normally able to alone. She's a true professional and a great person.
These trips challenge me to share something useful in a very limited, one-off session. With a few rare exceptions, the students don’t have personal computers or devices, and the Internet is generally very slow. Developing technology skills takes dedicated time and practice: it doesn’t come during a two-hour window. The ideal would be to meet with these students in a computer lab, over a period of time, and help them truly learn to use the Internet and computers for learning. But, that isn’t a possibility. So, I struggle with sharing something that can be meaningful and lasting. The truth is that they likely will remember very little of what we talked about. What I do hope they remember is that someone tried. Someone cared. That’s far more important than any tool or vocabulary term or Netiquette rule.
We broke up into groups again and I left the groups very open and informal. I didn’t want to assign them to groups. I wanted them to gravitate to what was most interesting for them. This picture captures the busy-ness of the classroom and a variety of things going on:
- “Email, Internet is important in life. Because email and Internet helps other jobs, school, college. Computer and laptop important in life.”
- “We learn about Internet and how to make bridge”
- “We learn how to open email and first we don’t know how to open email but now we know how to open email.”
- “I know Internet only 50% and 50% I don’t know. Today you are come in our Access class I learn other 50%.”
- “Today class was not only fun but it was very interesting. We all enjoy very much taking photograph. I think Internet is the social network but the Internet can change my living standard.”
- “Internet is more information and connection.”
- “Today we get many thinks in this class. You know Internet is very important think in our life. We learn science, technology, math, and engineering work. We get many thinks I will never forget in this class.”
- “I learn what is internet, how to use iPad and how to communicate with each other. Before this class I don’t know what is internet but now I know. Today class is very useful to me.”
- “We learning many things today in class. We make divided group and we doing some work. I get information about how to open Internet and email.”
- “Today I learn about email, Internet which is science and technology. We can connect with others like friends, family, and teachers.”
- “I learn how to make [email] ID.”
- “We will do group work in computer by internet. We will learn how to make technology.”
- “Internet is close to us so we can get information in all of the world.”
- “I learn computer technology and how to create email address.”
- “Internet gives us information, it’s very useful for us. Internet is good for everyone. It helps us how to join in online. Internet makes us perfect. In Internet we share our ideas and feelings etc. In Internet we meet many friends. We share our ideas.”
May the year 2070 be full of wonderful learning and happiness for all Access students and teachers. It’s always a privilege to be with you!